Thai Beef and Pea Shoot Salad
4 SmartPoints® Per serving (3 slices steak and 1 ½ cups salad)
- 1 (1-pound) boneless lean sirloin steak (1-inch thick), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 carrot, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and cut into matchstick strips
- 1/4 small jicama, cut into matchstick strips (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup pea shoots
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Sprinkle steak with ½ teaspoon salt. Spray large ridged grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Place steak in skillet and cook, turning once, until instant-read thermometer inserted into side of steak registers 145F, about 8 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make salad, whisk together brown sugar, water, vinegar, fish sauce, lime zest and juice, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in large bowl. Add carrot, cucumber, jicama, pea shoots, and cilantro and toss to coat well.
- Cut steal across grain into 12 slices. Serve steak with salad.
Pea shoots are the tender leaves of the pea plant. They add fresh flavor and texture to any salad. If you can’t find them, substitute mixed baby greens or baby spinach in this salad.